Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Combining Movie-Watching and Meditation


One thing that I’ve struggled with for a long time is my attention span.  My mind wanders a lot and I frequently lose concentration on things like reading and movie-watching.  I have trouble being in the present moment with mindfulness.  This is problematic for me because I place a lot of value on film studies and the absorption of a movie’s story-line and dialogue.  


Meditation is one way of combatting a short-attention span and loss of presence in the current moment.  Being present and mindful is the essence of a meditation practice.  I have been practicing meditation consistently for about four years now and have gotten tremendous value out of it.  I frequently use the technique of focusing on my breath or just trying to remain present.  I wondered if the practice of meditation could be combined with movie-watching for a more concentrated, mindful viewing experience.  I put this question to the test with a little experiment.  It should be noted that this is usually more appropriate for home movie-viewing as opposed to the theatre.  


Somewhat frustrated by my frequent mind-wandering during movies, I tried placing my meditation cushion in front of the television screen so I could sit upright in a lotus, cross-legged position for the course of the entire movie.  The results were great:  I was able to hold my attention for most of the movie’s running time and absorb a lot more information, story-line, and dialogue.  I sat there and tried to remain perfectly still throughout the whole process, bringing my full attention to all the events as they unfolded on screen.   It was very effective.   


There may be problems in this practice with discomfort.  My one leg frequently falls asleep when I remain motionless in this position for a long time.  I also find it hard to keep my back straight, but this is important to being more alert and concentrated.  The discomfort, with practice and time, will start to dissipate and you will get used to holding this position, as you would with normal meditation.  


I found that my enjoyment of films was also compounded.  By being fully mindful and absorbing so much, you get to appreciate films more and more.  This is especially relevant to films made in Hollywood’s Golden Age or art films, where dialogue is a lot more pronounced and there is less emphasis on action.  


So, if you’re like me and struggle holding your attention while watching movies, you might consider bringing the practice of meditation into your viewing experience.  You will absorb more information, comprehend complex plots, and more fully enjoy the movie.  

No comments:

Post a Comment