Thursday, January 2, 2014

American Hustle (2013, dir. David O. Russell) **.5/****


I highly anticipated the screening of American Hustle.  The previews looked very cool.  The late 70’s period detail of the trailer seemed spot-on accompanied by the rocking soundtrack of Led Zeppelin’s “Good Times, Bad Times”.  I wanted to like this movie.  But, I found myself, at the end of the film a little disappointed and let-down.  I wanted more action and excitement in the vein of “Goodfellas” which is obviously one of the film’s deepest inspirations. 

The camera work is interesting, the acting is good, the characters are well-drawn and charismatic.  I wanted more from the story and manner in which it was delivered.  A lot happens in this picture:  there is a confusing amount of political and financial scheming and manipulations that may require repeated viewings.  I have to admit, I only saw this film once... maybe upon repeated screenings certain things will become more clear and my appreciation for it will increase.  But after this first initial screening, I was left wanting more.

The film is a little too long for one thing.  It is approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes.  Shaving a little off the final cut may have added some enjoyment to the film.

As for the actors, Christian Bale is an overweight, comb-over-wearing, high-strung, and morally ambivalent shyster, who’s commanding presence bolsters the film in a positive direction.  Amy Adams is captivating, elusive and sexy in her gowns and sleek costumes.  Bradley Cooper is cast in a complex characterization that will leave you loving and hating him at the same time with his permed do.  He plays an FBI agent who will do anything, including bending the law, to get his own way.  There are also neat little supporting performances from Jeremy Renner, Jennifer Lawrence, Louis C.K. and Robert DeNiro.  

My raving about the acting and performers may make my review sound more positive.  That is my intent.  There are many admirable qualities about this film.  There is just a little something that is missing at the heart of the film’s screenplay.  A lot happens without anything happening at all and you are not left with the satisfying oomph of David O. Russell’s previous films and Scorsese’s gangster films to which this film will be and already is being compared.  

This is not the best film of the year.  It has its moments.  But it doesn’t live up to its own intent and ambition.

**.5/****

No comments:

Post a Comment