Monday, March 4, 2019

How Toastmasters Transformed My Life

In February of 2017, I became a member of Garden City Toastmasters.  Since joining and committing myself to going regularly, my life has been transformed beyond imagination.  I had been a long-time sufferer of social anxiety, especially around public speaking.  Toastmasters, I learned from various web searches, is a place for people like me.  I could meet people, practice public speaking, take on roles in the meetings, and improve myself in a variety of ways.  Now, more than two years later I can honestly say I am a new person.

My choice to become a member of Toastmasters coincided with a number of other positive habits that I incorporated into my life over the past few years.  I have practiced meditation, journaled daily, begun an exercise regimen, and read a lot of self-help and personal development material.  I attribute Toastmasters as a keystone habit that has been an important part of integrating all these other transformative practices into my life. 

I remember my first meeting like it was yesterday.  I nervously introduced myself in the guest introduction part of the meeting and hesitantly took part in Table Topics, a portion of the meeting where members and guests are asked to give a short, impromptu speech on a designated topic or question.  Surprisingly I was voted Best Table Topics Speaker at the end of the meeting, which really encouraged me to keep attending.  The other members of the club were so welcoming and friendly.  I recall seeing the happy look on other members faces as I agreed to take part in Table Topics. 

At our weekly meetings of Toastmasters, there is a set schedule which is regularly adhered to and seldom is wavered from.  There is an introduction from the Sergeant-at-Arms who reads the Mission Statement of the club followed by the Toastmaster who introduces the theme of the meeting and welcomes any guests.  There is a Word-of-the-day and a humourist who tells a humourous story or anecdote to inject some energy into the meeting.  Table Topics usually occurs in the first half as well.  After a brief break, the prepared speeches part of the meeting occurs followed by evaluations by individual members. 

My first speech was an awkward affair in which my eyes were mostly glued to the notes I had.  As I did more and more speeches, I learned to gradually become comfortable without notes and using more gestures and movement.  I have really developed myself from doing about 20 speeches over the past 2 years and I still have a long way to go.  I have learned a lot from the evaluations of my speeches and incorporated the feedback to improve my delivery and content as I made my way through various projects and assignments. 

Communication is one of the most important skills an individual can possess, whether in a career or life in general.  My life has changed in profound ways because of my experience with Toastmasters.  Since joining two years ago, I have landed a job that I love and always wanted and I attribute my Toastmasters experience to helping me get the job and nailing the interview.  Having a “Competent Communicator” designation, which I earned for completing 10 speeches from a manual, can look great on a resume and I’m sure my current employer was impressed with this credential.  I’ve also noticed that my communication skills in day-to-day life has become more effortless and efficient.   Meditation may have played a role in this, but I’m certain that Toastmasters and all the communicating I have done has helped immensely.

When I first joined, I have to admit, the experience was somewhat uncomfortable and I wasn’t fully committed.  I failed to attend some meetings after saying I would be there.  There were also moments of failure, embarrassment and awkwardness.  This is the point and the only way to grow, as is the case with anything worthwhile in life.  It is said that Thomas Edison failed 10,000 times before he came up with the lightbulb, after all.  You can choose to play it safe in life, sitting at home and never venturing past your familiar experience, or you can do something like join Toastmasters and commit to it where you will learn valuable leadership and communication skills. 

I am now the Sergeant-at-Arms of Garden City Toastmasters and have the privilege of being able to speak at each and every meeting in some capacity.  I now welcome public speaking, embrace it, and look forward to it, whereas in the past I would fear it and avoid it at all costs.  So if you want to improve yourself in any way, do as I did and join your local Toastmasters club.  You will see results after a few short months and may not even recognize yourself a year later with all the confidence you will gain.

2 comments:

  1. Matt
    We are extremely proud of you and your development over the past while. It’s heartwarming to see how your positive attitude and strong commitment have changed your life. Please continue to grow; you have our pledge to be with you all the way!
    Love
    Uncle John and Aunt Sandy ��

    ReplyDelete